Monday, June 2, 2008

Weekend Improvements


Despite the whole stupid car fiasco (more on that shiz later), I had a most excellent weekend. Apart from drinks with rarely seen friends I got to enjoy a marvelous Sunday.

First up, the flea market. Oh man, who does not love a flea market? Stop, I'm sure someone out there just hates them, but me, I am not one of those people. I flea market whenever humanly possible for the sheer joy of wandering around looking at all the trash and treasures. This particular flea market is pretty sizable, takes place in a big field and offers the full range of trash and treasures.

Myself, I showed all sorts of restraint this week and did not buy a single thing. Not even the cool mirrored tray that made a nifty photo. But Darcel was on a roll. She's still a little sad that we restrained her from purchasing the giant Elvis bust/lawn ornament/monstrosity. But she did buy a cool old Replogle globe from around 1949. It's black and awesome despite some minor rust issues that will be addressed.

There are several stalls that offer cheap modern stuff from wholesale heaven, wherever that may be. Here you can obtain your lifetime supply of socks, pencils, kitchen scrubbies, and back scratchers. You don't want too many of these stalls because they're all basically the same, but no flea market is complete without them.

We are lucky enough to have several stalls that sell plants, flowers, vegetables, fruit, mostly local produce and things like home made olive oil, soaps, vinegars, salad dressings, spice mixes and more. This is where you turn the corner and see the sign that says 'Limes 5 for $1' and turn to your friends and say, "Mothereffer, please note that we need to save our lime buying for this place next week and spare ourselves the high cost of shopping at Stop & Steal." When you make as much guacamole and drink as much Corona as we do it's best to find the best lime price in town.

We also have lots of food at this flea market. Far more than I have found at most places, there is a huge amount of food available for consumption. We have your standard truck full of fried everything, sausage and peppers, slushies/snowcones and ice cream novelties, Chinese (I know!), hot dogs, and a few little lemonade stands. I could just eat my way through the whole process. But this week we restrained ourselves so that we could go to a local ice cream stand for a treat after the flea market trek.

I have no idea what makes this 'New York Style' since it tasted exactly like regular soft serve, but yum. I love ice cream. It is my favorite food ever and I could eat it every single day. Every. Single. Day. (Wait, I'm sure I've said that before, but it bears repeating because it is so true.) If every you need me to do anything for you such as, "Can you help me move my 400 pound T.V. and futon?" Just tack on the words, "And we'll stop for ice cream." and I'll follow like a sheep right after you into the manual labor.

And then, as if that weren't enough I got to get together with some of the same friends plus some others for cocktails and delicious treats followed by a Rilo Kiley concert. It was excellent. I love me some Rilo and Jenny Lewis in particular. So good.

No comments: