Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sunrise, Sunrise

I am not a morning person. I am a night owl. Last night was a late night, which really isn't a problem for me, but this morning was an excruciating 5:15 wake up. Ouch. Don't get me wrong I know lots of people do this all the time. But I don't, and for good reason. I am not very bright first thing in the morning, so if I plan ahead I can execute, but I can not problem solve for a solid hour after I get up. If the apocalypse comes before 8:30 AM I am so going to be caught snoozing or standing while staring in befuddlement at the unfolding drama. However, if it arrives in the middle of the night, no problem, I'll have the reactions of a ninja.

Luckily, today, all went smoothly.

Fiddle and Faddle live a surprising distance away, nearly an hour's drive, and they needed a lift to school. So, at the unholy hour of 6:00 I departed for their far distant home.

Then, the most lovely thing happened, the sky was light and the sun just rising above the hills turning the sky peach, lavender and rose. The sun sparkled off the heavy dew that coated the newly green fields, while mist clung to the hollows in the meadows and the orchards were in full leaf.

My iPod seemed to be in tune and Norah Jone's Sunrise, Sunrise came on as I cut across the countryside. Now the lyrics themselves don't exactly suit, but the chorus of Sunrise, Sunrise seemed to be the perfect morning music.

So although I would never choose to be up and about at that terrible early morning hour, I was richly rewarded with an incredible, beautiful sunrise that would have gone unseen. My only regret is that I didn't have my camera. Of course, tomorrow's sunrise is on its own, I'll catch the sunset.

No comments: