Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Random TV Love- Top Gear

I love Top Gear. Anyone know it? It's a show out of Britain about cars. I can't think of one thing about the premise that would entice me to watch. And yet...I love it. I love it so much that I DVR it and watch it at leisure.

It has three hosts who all seem to like each other a lot and hate each other a lot- in a way that some guys can do. They are ruthlessly mean to each other, mock each other and set each other up for disasters whenever possible. Sort of like Jackass, but with vehicles and a smooth British accent.

They do straight up reviews of cars, but mostly they are far above any normal person's budget. They get one-of-a-kind cars and cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and drive them around the track. They check out a lot of just merely expensive cars, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar and such. That's OK, I listen, sometimes they're pretty interesting.

But the pure genius is in all the other crap that they do.

They have celebrities come and race around a track in a 'reasonably priced car'. They do an interview (always very random) and then watch the timed race lap and then they place them on a leader board. They get big names in, and sometimes folks I've never heard of, but they're still fun to watch.

The three hosts are frequently sent on challenges involving cars. Things like, go to America and purchase a car in Miami for less than $1000, drive it to New Orleans. They raced across London at rush hour using a car, boat, bike and public transportation to see what was fastest. Modify RVs and race them around a track smashing into each other along the way.

As a girl who's owned her car for almost 10 years, and it was used when I bought it, I am the last to claim any interest in awesome car shows. But this one, oh yeah.

If you have BBC America, you should check it out. The new season starts Monday!

No comments: